About The Recipe
Salsa isn’t just some Mexican dip!! It has become a favorite staple in many homes across the Americas. Salsa’s appetizing color, fragrant aromas and zesty bite has long since won us over. It makes the perfect accompaniment to chili, a fresh flavor enhancer to steamed fish, the only dip for nachos….the list goes on. Versatile too as it is equally popular with kids and adults a like, making it a super handy condiment to have in the kitchen cupboard. With just a handful of everyday, inexpensive ingredients, homemade fermented salsa can become a reality. Make several jars of it at time to ensure you never run out. Fermented salsa lasts longer, tastes oh-so-good, and comes with that guilt-free label which is always a plus.
The four main ingredients that go into making this kicking relish are tomato, onion, cilantro and lime. Each and everyone of these (besides being super tasty) offer the body an excellent source of antioxidants, beneficial vitamins and nutrients.
- Tomatoes contain high levels of Vitamin K and Calcium which help maintain strong bones.
- Rich in Vitamin C, tomatoes help strengthen the immune system.
- Onion helps prevent diabetes by assisting in regulating blood sugar.
- Onions are rich in Quercetin, a powerful antioxidant, which fights against cancer-causing free radicals.
- Antioxidants in lime keeps arteries healthy.
- Acids present in cilantro help lower blood cholesterol levels as well as blood pressure.
The list literally goes on and on which is pretty heartening! It’s wonderful to think that regularly consuming simple, everyday ingredients can have such a positive impact. Commercially produced ketchup is so overrated with such delicious alternatives to be enjoyed.
Let’s Get started
To ferment a perfect jar of salsa it is essential that all your equipment is spotlessly clean and your jars sterilized. Good hygiene practices should always be adhered to and never ignored. You don’t need the aggravation of preparing the perfect batch of salsa only for it to be ruined by lingering bacteria on an unsterilized jar. We recommend washing your equipment thoroughly before use. For optimum results use fresh, organic (where possible) ingredients. Your palate and your gut will thank you for the effort!
What You Need
- 4 Large tomatoes, chopped (adjust for jar)
- 1 Large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Cups cilantro leaves, chopped
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 2 Tsp. salt
- In a large bowl mix together all the ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into a pre-sterilized, wide mouth mason glass jar.
- Cover the jar with the Easy Fermenter Lid to ensure perfect fermentation results.
- Store in a cool, dark place (room temperature 60-70°F is preferred,) for 48 hours or until the salsa is bubbly.
- Once jar has been opened, move to cold storage and consume with 4 to 5 days.
This kicking relish is absolutely bursting with flavor. Add a generous dollop to liven up any dish. Particularly good as a dip shared amongst friends or can be used as an appetizing condiment in burgers, sandwiches, tacos and chili dogs. Free from preservatives and additives, this all-natural salsa is a great way to get ALL family members (young and old) to incorporate more veggies and absorb more probiotics in their daily diet.
The Visual Guide
Variations To The Ferment
Experiment as little or as much as you want with your salsa. Pack in a little heat by throwing in some chopped jalapenos to the mix. Or, enhance the flavor to suit personal tastes by adding your favorite spices/spice blends. Finely chopped mixed bell peppers add a nice crunch while contributing to the Vitamin C levels of the relish. Just make sure not to leave out the salt as it is key to fermenting the salsa. Enjoy!